LOCATION - About 30-40 minute drive from Waikiki.
PARKING - Lots of parking. Not usually crowded at all on weekdays.
BEST CEREMONY TIMES - 9 or 10 am. Earlier is better at this location. Sun rises here so sunrise ceremonies are also beautiful in this spot. Later afternoon weddings tend to be very hot but are still do-able. Sun sets on the other side of the island so for best photo light, you don't want to do a wedding after 4pm in this location.
DIRECTIONS- From Waikiki head east on the freeway until you hit Kalnianaole Highway. Stay on this road passing Hanauma Bay, Sandy Beach, going around the corner of the island - until you see Makapu'u Beach on your right. You will pass the first entrance to Makapu'u Beach and you will pass the entrance to Sea Life Park. Immediately after (about 100ft) the first entrance to Makapu'u Beach you will make a right into the parking area. This beach is called "Baby Makapu'u". There are several beautiful private cove areas that we use for ceremonies here. We will meet you in the parking area and lead your guests down. It is a short walk to the ceremony site. Since it is sandy, heels are not recommended.
Why we like Makapu'u Beach...
- Parking is easy, close to the ceremony and easy to find
- Beautiful turquoise blue ocean
- Large black rocks, mini tidepools and small islands create a beautiful and picturesque setting
- Not many tourists in this area, which means that you can very likely get photos with nobody else in them
- Location is very intimate and private feeling
- Plenty of options for photography, including - tide pools, sandy and rocky areas, eastern coast of O'ahu and many little islands
- Not too far from Waikiki
A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER - Ceremony location is not at Makapu'u Beach but Baby Makapu'u which is right past Makapu'u Beach. It is less crowded and more private. Large buses cannot drive into this area, if arriving by bus, guests must walk a short 5 minute walk to the ceremony area. This area can sometimes be windy but is usually very nice. The walk to the ceremony site is on sand so please wear wedges or comfortable shoes / sandals.